Home Blessing and Cleansing
Cleansing and charging a new or existing home is something everyone should do! Many people ask me how to prepare their new home before they move in. House blessings are always best done before you move in (if you can get in there the day before you actually move, even better). but it can also work once you get settled in. If you are already moved in, you should keep a regular cycle of home blessing to keep your home humming with positive energy! Here are some ideas on what you can do.
First Step: Cleanse your space!
Cleanse the area to remove any vibes from previous owners or negative energy left behind. This can also be done on a current home if you wish.
1) Smudging – this is a traditional practice to many, and it should always be the first step you take when blessing a new or existing home. Use a smudge stick to cleanse the area (I am a big fan of small white sage smudges). You should start in the north end of the house, and go counter-clockwise (since you are cleasing), paying special attention to all openings – including windows, doors, vents, drains etc. If you wish, instead of the smudge, you can use Home Purification Incense, and follow the same process.
2) Salt – you can use salt to cleanse the area as well. Just use some plain white salt (you can mix in a little frankincense powder or Rosemary with the salt if you wish). Sprinkle the salt all around the perimeter outside of your home, starting on the north end and moving counter-clockwise once again.
Second Step: Fill it with positive energy!
Once the space is clear and open you need to invite positive energy into your space. There are some easy and simple ways to do that!
1) Smudging – if you are a big fan of smudging, this a great option. Use Cedar tips burned in a censer or a cedar smudge stick and smudge the home. Once again, you want to start on the north side of the home, and this time, you want to move clockwise. Smudge every corner of every room!
2) Incense – Burn some Home Blessing incense at the center of your home for about 30-45 minutes. Close all doors and windows and let the smoke permeate the whole house for about 1-2 hours. After that, you can open doors and windows again.
3) Candle – you can also use a white candle, either a votive or a spell candle. Charge the candle with positive energy for your home, and burn it at the center of the home. Let the candle burn completely down.
Third Step: Keep it clean!
Once your home is cleansed and charged, maintain it going forward! There are many ways to do that, if you work with spirits or angels you can dedicate the home to them and make a monthly offering. You can also use crystals and herbs to maintain the good vibes in your home!
1) Guardians – if you have a guardian spirit, angel, god or totem you work with, you can offer them a monthly offering to watch over your home and keep it safe. You should offer them a white candle. It is important to understand that this is an offering, not a request. This should not be combined with other spells you do during the month with other intents. This should simply be a candle offering to them, thanking them for their protection and convey your hopes that they will keep watch over you. You can also burn incense along with the candle if you wish, based on the entity you are working with. This is the method I myself follow, I burn a white candle for my ancestral spirit every month and some Peaceful Home incense along with it.
2) Incense – if you just wish to maintain high vibrations in the home, you can burn some Peaceful Home incense or Home Blessing incense at the center of your home once a month or every couple of months. As when you cleansed, make sure that all windows and doors are closed for about 1-2 hours so that the smoke can permeate the whole home.
3) Crystals – You can also use Crystals. I am a big fan of the crystal sentinels. You can use our Home Protection Set or make your own set. Place one cleansed crystal in each room, hidden in a place where people (especially small children and animals) will not be able to get to them. Be sure to pull all crystals once every moon cycle and re-cleanse them before you put them back out again. Here are some crystal ideas that I have used in the past that have worked really well – by room:
– Living Room/Family Rooms: Black Obsidian, Smoky Quartz or Tiger’s Eye
– Children’s Rooms and guest rooms: Rose Quartz or Moonstone
– Bathrooms: Citrine, Clear Quartz or Rose Quartz
– Kitchens: Citrine, Tiger’s Eye, Smoky Quartz, Mahogany Obsidian, Rose Quartz
– Garages and Patios: Black Obsidian, Smoky Quartz, Hematite
You can cleanse the stones once a month in salt water, bury them in the earth for 24 hours or use a smudge stick. Once the stones are cleansed you need to re-charge them through meditation, energy channeling, moonlight, sunlight or with our Crystal Blend Incense. Once the stones are charged, just place them back out again and they are ready to go for another moon cycle!
I hope these ideas bring you a happy home!